Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:09:45 +0100

"Mike Preece" <michael_at_preece.net> wrote in message news:1b0b566c.0310211548.78f339e5_at_posting.google.com...
> Paul Vernon wrote:
>
> > "cmurthi" <xyzcmurthi_at_quest.with.a.w.net> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > >
> > > It's obvious that there is not a lot of academic writing about Pick;
for
> > > the most part it has been ignored by theorists.
>
> > I'm guessing people bundle it in the same class as IMS DL/1, and when
they
> > used to bother, took IMS as the archetype on so forgot about other
(possibly
> > similar) systems.
> > P.S. I'm guessing that IMS is still much bigger (in terms of number of
> > users, licence revenue, amount of data stored) than Pick? Is that
correct?
> > (ducks)
>
> Forgive me but I'm not familiar with IMS. In what way is it relevant
> to the current discussion? Why would people "bundle...[Pick and
> IMS]...in the same class"?

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/presentations/two/imsoverview/index.htm

a.. "More than ninety-five percent of the Fortune 1000 companies use IMS. IMS serves 200 million end users, managing over 15 billion Gigabytes of production data and processing over 50 billion transactions every day. IMS still owns the high-volume on-line transaction and database management environment. IMS customers have been driving their own growth with IMS - over 79 million transactions were handled by one customer in a single day on a single sysplex system, 30 Million Trans/Day on a single CEC. 7 million Transactions/ hour and 120 million transactions/day were handled by another customer. IMS in-house testing has reached over 4000 transactions/sec across TCP/IP to a single IMS on a single machine (G6). And we have reached 11,246 trans/sec (nearly 1 Billion trans/day) with IMS Data/Queued Sharing on a 2-CPC Sysplex.. One large customer has also indicated they have reached over 3000 days without an outage and another over 2000 days and still going strong. "

Compared to

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/u2/

     U2 offers high performance and scalable data management environments for embedding in vertical applications. Over 3.9 million users rely on IBM U2 Data Management solutions.

So that's 200 million users vs. 3.9 million.

And which ones do academia care about?
A: Neither.
And so it should be.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 15:09:45 CEST

Original text of this message