Re: Materials for an Advanced Database course

From: TenKMan <Fred_at_Fred.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:18:43 GMT

"Larry Coon" <lmcoon_at_nospam_cox.net> wrote in message news:3E2A1055.11BE_at_nospam_cox.net...
> --CELKO-- wrote:
>
> > All I could find at Amazon was "Operating System Concepts" by
Abraham
> > Silberschatz, Peter B. Galvin, Abraham Siberschatz, and Peter Baer
> > Galvin which is out of print and does not sound like a database
book.

> Here it is:
>

> We since switched to Fundamentals of Database Systems by
> Elmasri & Navathe:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805317554

Better still in my opinion is the Bernstein and Lewis book entitled:

Database and Transaction Processing
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201708728/qid=1043003431/ sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7215533-3352042?v=glance&s=books

I tried the Date book as well as the Navathe book but I like this one better.

The coverage of transaction processing and concurrency control is excellent.