Re: Materials for an Advanced Database course

From: Larry Coon <lmcoon_at_nospam_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:39:17 GMT

--CELKO-- wrote:

> All I could find at Amazon was "Operating System Concepts" by Abraham
> Silberschatz, Peter B. Galvin, Abraham Siberschatz, and Peter Baer
> Galvin which is out of print and does not sound like a database book.

Here it is:

I taught with this book three or four times. The book was never really helpful, and I ended up using it only for background reading. It has numerous typos which make the material really difficult to understand, and it's really spotty in its coverage of some topics.

We since switched to Fundamentals of Database Systems by Elmasri & Navathe:

This book was simply better in nearly every regard.

And to get back to your original topic, the advanced db class used Transaction Processing by Gray & Reuter:

Our advanced course focused on the implementation of a database system, covering costing, optimization, query processing, transaction management, recovery, etc.

And for another data point, here's how Stanford breaks out their database classes:

http://www-db.stanford.edu/db_pages/classes.html

Larry Coon
University of California
larry_at_assist.org
and lmcoon_at_home.com Received on Sun Jan 19 2003 - 03:39:17 CET

Original text of this message