Re: What's the point ?

From: Tobin Harris <comedyharris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:49:26 +0100

Hi there,

Not totally sure I understand your specific application, but I'll have a stab!...

Firstly, a quick pointer on naming! I'm gonna sound patronising, but I don't mean to, so bear with me. What you call a 'database' is acutally called a table. No big deal, but might help make your questions clearer 8-) Also, I noticed your using abbreviated names for your tables, which may sometimes not be obvious. I'd personally call the table 'Topics' rather than 'Tops', simply becase there's little room for min-interpretation, and it's not much extra to type.

"john" <smith_at_myplace.com> wrote in message news:3da3f298$0$33887$e4fe514c_at_dreader4.news.xs4all.nl...
> Now my question: I dont see the point in doing this. Why should this be
> better then one database with
> id topic text categorie. I can still query everything I need to and I dont
> need 4 databases.

I must admit, I don't full understand what your app is doing. Can you explain a bit more (sorry, it's a bit late for me 8-) ). I've put a few assumptions below. There is a chance that you were right with the 'simple' option, but again, it depends on the details.

So this is a database for an online news forum where you can post news? Just to be sure, please confirm my understanding...

topic - what the forum is about. E.g - Gambling text - this is a posting to the forum, and might be a few paragraphs of text. There are many postings to a given forum? category - this is the category of the forum, such as Leisure?

Actually, before going any further, can you confirm that I'm right on these assumptions.