Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:34:38 +0100

> What I seek is the answer to the questions:

To be the seeker of answers is a truly noble endeavour

>1) Is the reality of getting 100% of the app code into the DB
> some form of recognizeable theoretical achievement, either
> in the academic sphere or in the engineering sphere.
> (And thanks elswhere on this thread for the pointer re Access)

I'ld doubt anyone has written a paper proving that all 'app code' (whatever that might be defined as) can be defined in the database. Such a thing would probably be regarded as 'too easy' or just straight obvious by the Theoreticians :-), so I'll have a go

        'App Code' = 1st Order Logic = relational database constraints. QED It's also does not seem to be a target for the industry at present. The truly cynical (say F Pascal _at_ dbdebunk.com) would say that it's not in the industry interest to develop such a thing: complexity makes profit, simplicity only helps your customers...
Personally I'ld be happy to see most Programmers out of a job, but thats just me.

What Not How, www.dbdebunk.com. www.brcommunity.com but there is not a lot else out there AFAIK

>3) If not, (ie: if it is no big deal) do you think it should be?

Yep

> Many thanks for your response, BTW. For the record, one
> of my major clients has asked me the simple question:

> "Shouldn't it be the main theoretical objective for a DBA
> to try to get their app code in the DB, wouldn't that then
> allow fool proof maintenance and upgrade/transportablility??

>(NB: My client pays inordinate 3rd party DB apps support costs.
>not to me but to many other apps vendors)

More a job for RDBMS designers than DBAs

> I was simply trying to establish whether or not this may have
> been on the IT Milestones List for the big RDBMS vendors,
> such as IBM, ORacle and MS.

> And if indeed, it was not on the list, why it was not on the list.

Maybe junking SQL being a prereq puts the big boys off Or they argue, you've got triggers, what more do you need?

> You see, the team that put the Eagle on the moon set themselves
> objectives. I admire that team, always have and always will.

> How big, in the sphere of information technology today
> is this objective of getting 100% of the app code into the DB.

Well I think about it in idle moments, so its at least that big....

> Best wishes,

Regards
Paul Vernon Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 12:34:38 CEST

Original text of this message