Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 12:16:43 -0700

> >1) Is the reality of getting 100% of the app code into the DB
> > some form of recognizeable theoretical achievement, either
> > in the academic sphere or in the engineering sphere.
> > (And thanks elswhere on this thread for the pointer re Access)
>
> I'ld doubt anyone has written a paper proving that all 'app code'
> (whatever that might be defined as) can be defined in the database. Such a
> thing would probably be regarded as 'too easy' or just straight obvious by
> the Theoreticians :-), so I'll have a go
> 'App Code' = 1st Order Logic = relational database constraints.
> QED

I would settle for 80%. If we could at least get all the "stupid" code automated, that would be a great help. Programmers could still work on the hard parts.

> It's also does not seem to be a target for the industry at present. The
> truly cynical (say F Pascal _at_ dbdebunk.com) would say that it's not in the
> industry interest to develop such a thing: complexity makes profit,
> simplicity only helps your customers...

It could be that it is the cultural gap between db-folks and programming folks that resides in the academy and elswhere. You can take courses on both topics in (say) universities but they won't tell you how to stitch it together and you need both sides of the story to make an application. That is also reflected in current products.

> >2) If so, has there been any dialogue on this matter, and where
> > might I seek it?

You are just reading it here!

> > Many thanks for your response, BTW. For the record, one
> > of my major clients has asked me the simple question:
>
> > "Shouldn't it be the main theoretical objective for a DBA
> > to try to get their app code in the DB, wouldn't that then
> > allow fool proof maintenance and upgrade/transportablility??
>
> >(NB: My client pays inordinate 3rd party DB apps support costs.
> >not to me but to many other apps vendors)
>
> More a job for RDBMS designers than DBAs

And applicaton generator designers.

Regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 21:16:43 CEST

Original text of this message