Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Steve Kass <skass_at_drew.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:18:40 -0400

This is a good point. Is the concept of "file" part of the theory? If having one file with the data and programs violates some principle, then what's the definition of "file"? Does it violate the same principle if the data and programs are on the same disk partition, or the same "file system," or the same physical storage device? Does it matter if they are on the same virtual something but not the same physical something? I can't imagine the theorists worrying about hardware like this (but point me to where they do, if they do). For the record, the word "file" doesn't appear anywhere in the SQL-92 specification.

I don't see where files and devices say anything about independence, and I suspect Paul is right that insofar as the theory talks about independence, it almost has to mean something logical, not physical.

Steve Kass
Drew University