Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Steve Kass <skass_at_drew.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:49:09 -0400

Paul,

  The mix certainly can be confusing, but I assume flexibility at the physical level is extremely hard to provide if one of the goals is blinding speed - I'm sure the query optimizers in major products can't deal with much flexibility about where the data is.

  Good point about the sparse tables, though - I didn't make the connection, and in fact variable-length columns in SQL Server and probably most products are actually stored as variable-length, and it could even be a good space-saving trick to store an integer column as varchar() if it's often null and not indexed.

Steve