Re: Class modeling & ER modeling

From: JRStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:27:58 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:23:20 +0100, "Stu" <smcgouga_at__at_yaho.com_> wrote:
>But when I take a step back and look at what I have done I see that the
>Class diagram is almost _exactly_ the same as the EER diagram (table =
>class, field = attribute). The only difference is that my class diagrams
>have methods associated with them.
>
>This can't be right: I am basically just duplicating the DB structure in
>memory (twice since ill need to fetch the data too!) This has happened to
>every project I have started.

You have just penetrated the first dark secret of n-tier design: if you know how to build a decent relational data-model, there is often nothing for a middle-tier to do except to buffer transactions.

The second dark secret has to do with GUI design.

Good luck.

Joshua Stern Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 04:27:58 CEST

Original text of this message