Re: Class modeling & ER modeling

From: Alex Petrov <master.db_at_mail.ru>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:03:39 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

>Then I move on to do a class diagram for my visual basic (OO) program. This
>is also fine.

What CASE technique/methodology do you use? (SADT/IE/SSADM, Rational Unified Process?) What OOM-/ER-tools do you use to perform modeling stage? (Power Designer OOM/C(P)DM, Rational Rose 2K -it;s data modeling add-in sucks, Paradigm Plus/ERwin?)

>But when I take a step back and look at what I have done I see that the
>Class diagram is almost _exactly_ the same as the EER diagram (table =
>class, field = attribute).

Anyways, UML Class diagrams are NOT the same as ER diagrams (thus they quite may look similar and may share common data items, what is you don't have to worry about), cause they have (1) they have different meaning,(2) they use different notation

>This can't be right: I am basically just duplicating the DB structure in
>memory (twice since ill need to fetch the data too!)

No, it may be a matter of bad architectural design. (Would you provide a bit more details about your coding technique?) And fetching column values doesn't require to create column variables by itself. (Would you provide a typical code sample where you work query data?)

Good luck

Alex Petrov
Sys Analyst

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Stu" <smcgouga_at__at_yaho.com_> wrote in message I am trying to model my database with an EER diagram. This works fine. Then I move on to do a class diagram for my visual basic (OO) program. This
is also fine.

But when I take a step back and look at what I have done I see that the Class diagram is almost _exactly_ the same as the EER diagram (table = class, field = attribute). The only difference is that my class diagrams
have methods associated with them.

This can't be right: I am basically just duplicating the DB structure in memory (twice since ill need to fetch the data too!) This has happened to
every project I have started.

Does any body know any books/urls to help me distinguish between my class
diagrams and my EER diagrams? Or does anybody have some hints for me?

Also is there a group for class diagrams? I could not find one.

cheers
stu