Re: The Foundation of OO (XDb)

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 03:57:20 GMT

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Thaddeus L Olczyk <olczyk_at_interaccess.com> wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2002 22:33:46 GMT, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
> wrote:
>>The characteristic language involving this sort of thing is Self. >><http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/labs/oocsb/self/release/Self-4.0/Tutorial/>

>>  "The Self language doesn't have any classes. When we want a new
>>  object, we find an existing one and copy it. We can then change
>>  the copy, safe in the knowledge that we have not affected anything
>>  else."

>>But note that this means that Self _rejects_ the notion of
>>"classes." It being an object-oriented system, that means that >>"classes" cannot be an intrinsic thing to OO.

> Last time I looked the only platform that Self runs on is
> SunOS/Solaris. IMHO that makes it unworthy of mention. ( In other
> words, if it's so great why is it only accessible to a handfull of
> porogrammers.)

There _are_ versions of Self running on Linux and atop JVM.

And it's only one of a number of languages that take a "prototype/classless" approach that also include Cecil, Lua, Agora, and Obliq. There are games on store shelves using Lua; that is _not_ a sign of being "inaccessible."

Self is by no means alone in having this characteristic.

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc_at_" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/emacs.html