Re: Avoiding New Fields Causing Ambiguity Errors

From: Lennart Jonsson <lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se>
Date: 16 May 2002 10:23:29 -0700

Nis Jorgensen <nis_at_dkik.dk> wrote in message news:<3n07euo48528qb8bcdeummu8e75fgl148d_at_4ax.com>...
> On 15 May 2002 12:38:40 -0700, lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se (Lennart
> Jonsson) wrote:
>

> >> It seems that some database engines don't let one use
> >> alias columns within WHERE clauses for some odd
> >> reason.
> >
> >Sounds odd enough :-) How does one join a table with it self without using alias?
> >Can you provide the name of the db so I know what to avoid in the future ;-)
>
> There is a difference between "column aliases" and "table aliases".
> The first are defined in the SELECT, and might therefore not be
> available in the WHERE-clause (and certainly cannot be available in
> the FROM-clause.

Ahh, I missunderstould. I thought Topmind ment that some dbs wouldnt accept my first example "select c.name, d.name from myscheme.cars c, myscheme.drivers d ..." because c.id = d.id would be illegal in the where clause. Sorry for the waste of cyberspace space :-)

/Lennart Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 19:23:29 CEST

Original text of this message