Re: ODBC Theory: Why do I still need database specific client drivers?

From: Jan Csisko <jcsisko_at_openlinksw.co.uk>
Date: 9 May 2002 04:00:09 -0700

Hello Joe,

most Database Providers do also Provide a Client Networking License with their Product which enables you to access the DB. This might cause a certain degree of platfrom dependency. The general idea of ODBC is to be platform independant but the reality is far away from what you described. I would suggest that you choose an independant ODBC Driver Provider like OpenLink to connect to your Database as most Databases and OSs are being supported by these Drivers. Further information is available at http://www.openlinksw.com. Let me know if you got any further questions on this matter, hope this helps,
Regards,
Jan