Re: when to use a DB

From: abombss <abombss_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 09:03:00 GMT

Why would you not use a database?

If you can say no the following questions you do not need a database.

Will the application be used by multiple people on multiple computers?

Does the application have potential to expand and require multiple users?

Does there need to be integrity to the data?

Is the development knowledgable about Databases?

I have seen many applications out live there life expentancy in spreadsheets or other applications not using databases, but eventually they became too big and unmanagable. I try and think not only about requirments today, but requirments from 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down line. If during that time period you think there would be an advantage to put data in a database do it at the begining.

One of the first apps on I worked on when I was a teenager was a huge Lotus spreadsheet. This file was about 35 MB filled formulas and data all over the place. It got to the point where the design was shot and everything was a formula with some type of work around. The first thing I did was dump it in Access and it turned out for the better. The spreadsheet was only 1 1/2 old but no one atcipated it to grow like that.

Now almost everything I do is with databases. They provide so much more flexiability, security, and performance increases that it is almost silly not to use them. There are also a plethra of options to choose from which are cheap. MS-Access, MySql ( Linux, Windows ), Postgres, Sybase ( Linux ). All of these I just mentioned are very powerful and very free as in beer.

Good Luck to you and your decisions,

Adam Received on Sat Mar 09 2002 - 10:03:00 CET

Original text of this message