Re: A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.alumni>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:07:47 +0000

On 27 Feb 2002, --CELKO-- wrote:

[snip]

> >> ... Is there any datastructure that has the flexability and
> "normalization" of approach_1 and the ease of search of approach_2. <<
>
> You want a persistent object store of some sort. I don't know if
> anyone hs such a thing that can be accessed easily, to be honest. Do
> not do this in SQL.

I've spent a good many years putting together a couple of books of products, case studies, performance, etc. of persistent object stores/object databases. Details here:

A.B. Chaudhri (ed.) (2002) Java and databases (London: Hermes Penton Science)
http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/02-book.html

A.B. Chaudhri and R. Zicari (eds.) (2000) Succeeding with object databases: a practical look at today's implementations with Java and XML (New York: John Wiley)
http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/00-book.html

M.E.S. Loomis and A.B. Chaudhri (eds.) (1998) Object databases in practice (Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall) http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/98-book.html

Other general pointers to articles and links: http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/resources.html

Performance benchmarks: