Re: A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

From: Ilya Zvyagin 2147483647 <ziv_at_fct.ru>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:35:02 +0300

Hello, Nuno!
You wrote on Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:44:35 GMT:

 NS> Yes. What makes that inherently more efficient away from the data
 NS> than it is near it?  That is the whole point, isn't it?   Not the
 NS> nature of the task but it's location and efficiency.

The programming language we have or are able to use in either cases.

 NS> We can sit here citing examples ad-infinitum, but there is no way
 NS> there will ever be a proper proof of concept based on sound theory
 NS> that handling data integrity away from its storage is better.
 NS> That proof just doesn't exist.

I know what you are writing about and I fully agree with you in theory. But in practice we do have some restrictions we can not ignore. They are performance, poor database programming languages etc. I love Transact and I believe it _should_ be an interpreting language but you can not programm everything in Transact.

 NS> Non sequitur. Why not, have you had a bad experience with a  NS> horrible trigger implementation?

I did.

Ilya Zvyagin, First Container Terminal of SPb Sea Port e-mail: masterziv_at_*KILLSPAM*mail.ru - personal, ziv@*KILLSPAM*fct.ru - business. ICQ UID: 29427861(MasterZIV) Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 08:35:02 CET

Original text of this message