Re: Normalisation versus optimisation

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:44:07 -0500

> > This seems to me a bit off-topic. A question on
> > normalization/denormalization in relation to a RDBMS was raised
>
> A rdb is a subset of oodb.

Bullshit.

> > What do you btw mean by "(de)normalization " in an objeckt-oriented
database
> > (even if it "is rarely necessary")....
>
> I was suggesting that if one sees the solution in terms of objects, it
> is easier to determine a normalized design. As data complexity
> increases one will need to begin denormalizing earlier with a rdb than
> with an oodb typically due to performance degradation.

Since OODB attempts to map a conceptual model directly to physical structures, it provides no opportunity for normalization in the first place, which makes it impossible "to determine a normalized design".

You don't even know what normalization is, do you? Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 21:44:07 CET

Original text of this message