Re: Normalisation versus optimisation

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2001 16:58:57 -0800

> > Because XDb is fast and flexible, denormalization is rarely necessary.
> > Download your free copy from http://www.xdb1.com
>
> This seems to me a bit off-topic. A question on
> normalization/denormalization in relation to a RDBMS was raised

A rdb is a subset of oodb.

> What do you btw mean by "(de)normalization " in an objeckt-oriented database
> (even if it "is rarely necessary")....

I was suggesting that if one sees the solution in terms of objects, it is easier to determine a normalized design. As data complexity increases one will need to begin denormalizing earlier with a rdb than with an oodb typically due to performance degradation. Received on Thu Dec 20 2001 - 01:58:57 CET

Original text of this message