Re: DB required to list multiple D.I.V.O.R.C.E.S. & Re-marriages

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:24:36 +0000

In message <1008783109.18779.0.nnrp-07.c2dead53_at_news.demon.co.uk>, www.wedding-service.co.uk/ <david_at_wedding-service.co.uk> writes
>DB required to list multiple D.I.V.O.R.C.E.S. & Re-marriages
>
>With many couple getting Divorced and re-married should I have multiple
>cross referanced fields ?
>
>If a couple re-married the other couple is this M:N ? or 1:1 ?

Yes.

Whether you treat5 it as 1:1 or 1:n or m:n depends on what you want to use the data for. I'd probably record a table of people and one of marriages. In the marriage table I'd include two foreign keys for the people being married, the data of the marriage and a column for the date the marriage ends (which may be null). I'd probably add another column for the reason for the marriage ending, one reason would be divorce.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti