Re: Generic Modeling

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:11:02 -0500

Hi Brian,

In your original message (below), you have four bulleted requests. The fact that you have to ask the fourth request should be persuasive enough that the entire idea was bad from its inception.

A relational dbms is already the most powerful generic logic system available for machine interpretable semantic modelling. To do its job properly, it needs to work with the valid logical schema that most closely resembles the conceptual schema. Unless your conceptual schema has a single entity, "thing", the one table approach does not resemble the conceptual schema in any way, shape or form. Likewise for the two table approach.

A relation (or table) establishes an n-ary relationship among data. The progression from one table to two tables already suggests the need to reinvent the dbms -- albeit poorly. The fourth point below confirms it.

The second and third points below presuppose the incorrect answer to the first, and as such require no response.

Regards,
Bob