Re: What makes an OODBMS different from an RDBMS?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:28:36 +0100

James wrote:
> I agree making an oodb multi-user is quite a challenge. Hopefully,
> committing dirty pages to a disk will a thing of the past soon, making
> things easier, as it already is on PocketPC.

I don't think so, since you will always want to have your data in a consistent and current state, even if the computer, OS or whatever crashes. That is not possible with an in-memory database.

We have spent lots of time to research the fastest disc-access mechanism possible and we write every update back to the disc instantaneously.

Stored data is also getting more and more complex. There will always be people that want to store the maximum amount of data possible. If you raise the possible limits, people will come up with more complex applications. Huge applications will never be possible in RAM only.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger