Re: Throughput and storage requirements questions for modern vs old database processing apps

From: John Becich <jbecich_at_nospam.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:26:52 GMT

"Paul Linehan" <plinehan_at_not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message news:3c010367.15054479_at_news1.eircom.net...

> "John Becich" <jbecich_at_nospam.net> wrote:

> Make sure that they'll give you the source code of the application
> (sign an nda if necessary) and make sure that you can obtain a copy of
> the development environment - I looked on the proiv site and can't
> seem to find the pricing.
Is that some sort of a doomsday defense strategy, in case the vendor disappears? You've got a good point, BTW. I'm not sure my client wants to engender the responsibility of holding that source code. My strategy so far has been to insist, from any candidate, that the new software have the ability to export its data to some format that allows a subsequent migration. Our existing system lacks that, so pulling the data out will be a considerable job. I've done that before, writing C code to mechanize the process of pulling data from weird places.

> >Given that the two offerings I have reviewed promise to be "highly
> >configurable by the user," with "additional customization available by
the
> >manufacturer,"
>

> Which will cost money?
Of course.

> if you had the source of your
> Clipper app, it would be relatively easy to port it to another
> environment (like Delphi...).

Tell me more. I can communicate with the author. He's still around. But what would Delphi do for us? At least it might be a means of exporting the data from the old system to flat, delimited text files. Received on Sun Nov 25 2001 - 21:26:52 CET

Original text of this message