Re: Simple question on data design...

From: Ken Zigler <reply_at_group.please>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:40:58 -0800

First, thanks for NOTHING!

You forget: newsgroups are for helping others- often with less knowledge or experience... not to try and impress virtual strangers of how goddamn brilliant you are (or aren't)...

--CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message news:c0d87ec0.0111080851.563d9351_at_posting.google.com...
> >> Consider tables with columns that contain data from a limited,
> pre-set list or domain, such as: .. <<
>
> Please post real DDL instead of a personal pseudo-code. And stop
> using those silly 1950's "tbl-" prefixes -- it makes SQL look like
> FORTRAN II.
Please stop being an arrogant cock-sucking bastard. Your piss-piddley Data Definition Language is useless when the data is already defined... by the_way, your_underscore_characters SUCK if you ask me. Did you break your shift key on your 1950's keyboard?

> CREATE TABLE Addresses
> (address_id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> client_id INTEGER NOT NULL
> REFERENCES Clients(client_id)
> ON DELETE CASCADE
> ON UPDATE CASCADE,
> street CHAR(35) NOT NULL,
> city CHAR(20) NOT NULL,
> state CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
> zip CHAR(5) NOT NULL DEFAULT '00000',
> address_type CHAR(8) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Primary'
> CHECK (address_type IN ('Primary', 'Billing', 'Shipping',
> 'Location')),
> ..);
>
> >> (disregarding whether this is a good model or not) ... <<
>
> I cannot ignore the fact that this is a reallllllly Baaaaad design.
> If I have one and only one address, then your company will record me
> four times, leading to a redundant, non-normalized design.

Obviously you can't read 'personal pseudo code', however elementary. Record 4 times??!! What the fuck are you talking about? One field. One attribute. One domain. I don't give a damn what you call it... but there are 4 possible _VALUES_ for that field/attribute/domain! Do you record your client 2 times becaus he may be male or female? Think before you cock off.

> >> One could store the data as shown above, or each value could be
> represented
> by a single letter. The single character value could save space, but
> requires more work when displaying the data in a meaningful way (by
> substituting the word represented)... <<
>
> I'd go with the single letter and put a comment about translation
> being done in the front end. But who cares? The design is flawed and
> you are asking for the best place to put deck chairs on the Titanic as
> it sinks.
>
> An address does not hae a type; there is nothing inherit in an address
> that makes it a billing or shipping or whatever kind of thing. Those
> are uses for an address, and the address is the value of a data
> element.

'Nothing inherit'??? You're either talking about the OOP paradigm, or genetics, neither of which has jack to do with my pseudo code or your DDL bullshit...

but thanks for responding!

Zigler after a bad day Received on Fri Nov 09 2001 - 00:40:58 CET

Original text of this message