Re: 2 million row database from hell! help a newbie in over his head.

From: Carl <fakeham_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 05:34:14 GMT

I think so. The grain is the specified frequency for the popular query. I'm a bit confused by Mikito's writing though. I understand materialized views, although I believe the original post referred to MySQL. AFAIK, materialized views are not an option in that DBMS. I was simply trying to point out that the materialized view is not available in all DBMS. Possibly, a simple solution to improve performance is to create aggregate tables that answer popular queries - the concept is simple. Transfer the work of performing the aggregate to off-peak time. Granted, data is aged using this technique, but I have found it to be quite acceptable in may instances.

Regards,

Carl