Re: 2 million row database from hell! help a newbie in over his head.

From: Carl <fakeham_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:36:39 GMT

Well, in my practice - we design the database for real world application. This means that it may be necessary to have some redundant data. This is not what I was talking about though. I was suggesting an aggregate table(s) to contain popular report data. We have used this quite a bit to transfer the load of performing popular aggregates to off peak hours.

Just what is a "snapshot" index? I have never heard of this. What dbms are you speaking of?

Carl

"Mikito Harakiri" <nospam_at_newsranger.com> wrote in message news:bO_g7.11475$2u.82017_at_www.newsranger.com...
> In article <dj_g7.184416$%a.7737982_at_news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com>, Carl
 says...

> >The post indicated that MySQL was being used. I didn't realize that
 MySQL
> >supports materialized views.
> >I don't understand what you mean by "More
> >advanced (and more relational) solution would be using index".
>
> Because having explicit redundant data of any kind is not good by
 relational
> canons. Seriously, on practice people weight the cost of being complient
 with a
> principle versus implications of violating it. Therefore, I wouldn't rush
> retire my snapshots and write snapshot indexes instead, yet.
>
> >"Mikito Harakiri" <nospam_at_newsranger.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <lcHg7.182793$%a.7691942_at_news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com>, Carl
 says...

> >> If you have a very popular query, such as average rainfall for last
 year
> >> per region, create a materialized view (snapshot) for this. More
 (and
> >> more relational) solution would be using index. I'm not sure if
 built-in