Re: 2 million row database from hell! help a newbie in over his head.

From: Mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:31:19 GMT

In article <dj_g7.184416$%a.7737982_at_news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com>, Carl says...

>The post indicated that MySQL was being used. I didn't realize that MySQL
>supports materialized views.
>I don't understand what you mean by "More
>advanced (and more relational) solution would be using index".

Because having explicit redundant data of any kind is not good by relational canons. Seriously, on practice people weight the cost of being complient with a principle versus implications of violating it. Therefore, I wouldn't rush to retire my snapshots and write snapshot indexes instead, yet.