Re: parsing multi-word queries

From: THUNDERSTONE <_at_thunderstone.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:56:31 -0400

The Critic wrote:

> In the writing of a general purpose (web) search engine, is it better
> to automatically parse queries into single terms and n-word phrases,
> or to get the user to identify phrases with the use of quotes?
>
> E.g. Input = *Japanese railways bullet train*

Its pretty much always beneficial to parse into the phrases. The example we have always used is "state of the art ..." because if its not parsed then the engine will strip the noise words and the query will return doo doo.

Bart Richards
Thunderstone Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 05:56:31 CEST

Original text of this message