Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:42:30 -0400

>Bob,
>
>Maybe you should talk to this guy at Microsoft:
>
>http://buffy.eecs.berkeley.edu/Seminars/Old.2001/Apr/010412.hamilton.html
>
>He talks about the language execution environment being merged with
>that of the server. Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but
>maybe a step in the direction.
>
>akmal

Hi Akmal,

From the abstract, I cannot tell if the MSFT guy is talking about the same thing I am. I suspect he wants to expose DBMS internals to users, which is a bad idea. In the end, doing so would just enable MSFT to push their work and the work of the DBMS onto users.

The languages supported for type specification do not seem like they would lend themselves well to optimization by the DBMS, and I am a little leery since all of the mentioned languages rely on references and dynamic memory allocation even for very simple object types.

By any chance, did you attend the seminar?

I have not investigated .NET or CLR much. It would be nice if MSFT built higher-level abstractions, like relations, into CLR, but I doubt anyone there has considered the idea.

In short, I would be happier if he were talking about merging relational technology into the language execution environment than vice versa.

Cheers,
Bob Received on Sun Jul 08 2001 - 17:42:30 CEST

Original text of this message