Re: [T] Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:26:48 GMT

> "Topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If your domain can effectively use inheritance, then translating
> > from a RDBMS to OO is something that I
> > don't have much advice/experience
> > to give you. I also suspect that the best translation/conversion
> > technique is situation-specific. Thus, you may not be able to get
> > a decent answer without presenting the actual usage I am afraid.
> >
> > BTW, what is your primary domain (industry)?
> >

> My primary domain is military applications. Areas I've worked in range from
> command and control systems (which resemble commercial enterprise data
> systems), intrusion detection, combat simulations, embedded controllers,
> radar surveillance (embedded apps), to VLDB systems involving the retrieval
> of intel data.

Interesting. I suppose you could not share specifics about what the subclasses you intend to use? I am not much of a fan of OO with business applications. Those that try to persuade me that OO is great usually fall into two camps:

  1. One doesn't really need to use subclassing to get benefits from OO.
  2. Subclassing (and polymorphing off those subclasses) is quite useful in biz apps, but Topmind just cannot recognize them.

If it's #1, then how does OO improve it? If it's #2, then please list decent, stable biz taxonomies in outline form that non-me's have discovered.

I can't get a strait answer. The military would probably court-marshal somebody who gave the wishy washy Zen answers that I get.

> Currently I've moved an abstraction level above databases,

Rather than fiddle with yet another layer, I try to "surf" the database features and take advantage of it's inherit power.

Perhaps military applications are more concerned with contract formalness instead of being flexible WRT entity influence. The OO approach may indeed help there. I can't say for sure.

> and am now
> working in the more general area of information retrieval. Discovering
> there's a whole new world out there with an entirely new set of research to
> catch up on. Definitely a unique and valuable perspective on data issues.

-T- Received on Sun Jul 08 2001 - 06:26:48 CEST

Original text of this message