Re: XML or a relational Database ?

From: Leonardo B Lopes <leo_at_iems.nwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:20:52 -0600

Carlos Bromanski wrote:

> We're veering off topic! Yee haw!
> When you say "access most of your data sequentially", do you mean that in
> any process that needs data, you always start at the beginning of the data
> set and read through it to the end? I don't get it.

That is what I mean, _most_ of the time

> What about ordering, selecting, combining, summarizing, or comparing data
> from various subsets of the database? It's insane to perform those kinds of
> operations with only sequential access.

I don't need to perform those.

> And memory management IMHO is totally separate from databases. Confusing or
> mingling the two means trouble. I take it for granted.that my database
> software has MM built in.

That is why I am currently using an RDB. But I am conscious that I am killing a mosquito with a bazooka and carrying the bazooka around. If the XML library handles memory well, it might be more appropriate. Akmal mentioned streaming. But when I search for streaming in the MySQL manual I get nothing. So I don't know if it is not available there, or maybe has another name... That might reduce my performance penalty.

> - cb
>
> Leonardo B Lopes <leo_at_iems.nwu.edu> wrote in message
> > DISCLAIMER: Just throwing ideas up in the air. I'll read the two papers
> > Carlos and Akmal mentioned, and maybe change my view, but here it goes:
> >
> > How about the case in which you access most of your data sequentially,
> > you write once but read many, there are a lot of data and you don't want
> > to deal with Memory Management issues? That is the situation I am in
> > now, and I am using an RDB to get around the MM. But the XML libraries
> > (I naively assume) have pretty sophisticated MM built into them, so that
> > may be an option.
> >
> > Florian Barbera wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > what would you be, according to you, the situation where you would use
 XML