Re: domain questionnaire

From: Vadim Tropashko <Vadim_member_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:02:17 GMT

In article <KFjl6.723$1f4.172983439_at_radon.golden.net>, Bob Badour says...

>Weight in lbs and *mass* in kgs are clearly different domains. However, mass
>in grams and mass in kgs could be the same domain with two different
>representations. Mass would have the same operators defined regardless of
>representation.

Well, your answer depends on Metric System we chose. In other words, in old English system we have dozens of domain. In <cm,g,sec> three only. But theoretical physis really operate with a system based upon a single unit! Therefore, if I pretend to be sophisticated, I must stick everything in a single domain. And I can compare mass with length, then (but this would led us into the black hole topic:-)

>Ideally, representation is independent of domain (or data type) to achieve
>the goal of physical independence.

Isn't representation dual to domain? I somehow amuse myself with equation

<60|kg> = <135|lb>

which is too similar to scalar product to ignore it. Received on Fri Feb 23 2001 - 19:02:17 CET

Original text of this message