Re: domain questionnaire

From: Scot A. Becker <scotb_at_inconcept.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:22:26 GMT

> >> ORM being Object Relational Model?
> >
> >Er, sort of, it's Object Role Modelling. If you want to know more:
> > www.orm.net
> > www.inconcept.com
>
> Oh, well, I may have glanced at this before, but obviously it didn't
> much stay with me. And here they are, having a conference right next
> door in Anaheim next month. Yet Another Methodology ...

Ummmm... A few points from an admitted ORM bigot....

  1. I would hesitate to call ORM "a dialect of entity-relationship models". ER modeling models entities, attributes, and relationships between entities. ORM models obects and the roles they play with other objects. There are no attributes, and the elementary fact concepts ensure normalization. However, the benefits of the method are well detailed in the cited websites.
  2. The conference in Anaheim is not an ORM conference, it is the Meta-data Conference and DAMA International Symposium. More techniques than ORM will be represented there, some good and some terrible, I'm sure. It is true that there will be two presentaions covering ORM there, one by myself and one by Dr. Terry Halpin.
  3. I would hesitate to dismiss the concepts as "yet another methodology". An opinion, granted, but I encourage you to check it out in further detail.

HTH,
Scot.

Partner, InConcept, Inc.

     http://www.inconcept.com

Editor, The Journal of Conceptual Modeling

     http://www.inconcept.com/JCM Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 00:22:26 CET

Original text of this message