Re: Three table database - period (?)

From: Jens <jens_at_axon.is>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:43:25 +0000

Jan Hidders wrote:

> So, although in the first case you have retrieved information that you
> don't really need, the number of disk reads is still lower.

Isn't this only true if you have all the relevant information in sequential blocks on the disk? If they are spread out all over the disk, as is likely the case if you add attributes later, you will end up with multiple seeks anyway. Maybe the database can compensate for this somehow.

> Btw, did you consider using an object-oriented database?

I did, but I haven't found a good open source (or free) one. For some time I was trying to use GOODS but I found it's interface a bit weird. I'm using PostgreSQL right now.

Jens Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 14:43:25 CET

Original text of this message