Re: Three table database - period (?)

From: Jens <jens_at_axon.is>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:46:13 +0000

Jan Hidders wrote:

> Er, let me get this straight. In order to avoid expensive joins you are
> going to do them yourselves? Most databases are especially optimized to
> do exactly that sort of thing. Are you smarter then the people who
> built those databases? :-) Especially if the joins are so big that they
> won't fit into main memory programming it yourself is going to lead to
> a lot more disk access.

No, you are right. I should not assume that I can do it better than the database (not before I have tested it :-). I was thinking that I might gain something if for some method in an object I didn't need to make a full join, that is from the top of the entity down to the attribute(s) in question (a multiway join). I just go straight to the attributes as I already know enough information (stored in the object) to get there. Am I missing something?

Jens Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 11:46:13 CET

Original text of this message