Re: Item Properties

From: Kresimir Fabijanic <kresimir_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:28:54 +1100

Dear all

Correct me if I missunderstood your requirements, but I feel we had a similar problem.

We had similar structure with Client and Client Attribute. We ended up pulling back into the Client table all attributes that we could identify as 1 to 1 (i.e Headquarter address, primary contact etc ) as inital load for smaller set of Clients took 36 hours and was killed by DBA before it completed.

When we moved all 1 :1 attributes back to Client, laod run in three hours - and it was completed.

Other thing that I have noticed is that (I think) you may be missing a property value attribute in Item_Poperty Entity - For example, Item like a book has a Property called 'Author' (e.g. ID=10), but the actual value of the Author property may be 'Date, C.J.' of 'Celko, Joe', unless you try to store each autor as Individual Property tuple, which may reqiure

  1. Property Type
  2. Enormous numebr of records - if you want to store poperty like ISBN, Item Price or Item Quantity in a Property table.

Kind Regards

Kresimir Fabijanic