Re: Multiple entries in a field

From: Philip Lijnzaad <lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/08/09

> Hi,
> I'm new to databases and designing them,so I hope I can get my requirement
> through clearly.What I basically want to have is the possibility for the entry
> of more than 1 data item for a particular field in my database.Eg. for a
> database called TEAMS,I want fields such as: Name,Captain,Players,Year
> Founded,etc.Now obviously the last one has to have the names for *each* of the
> team,so it can't be done with just a VARCHAR(50).There will be a separate
> database for each of the team,with things such as their Name,Age,Year of
> joining,etc.... or should there be? How exactly would I go about doing this? I
> should be able to query the first db for all teams founded after a certain
> year,for example,and then get whatever data on each member of that team.

have a table Team, which has everything but the players, and a table Players which has all details on the Players, as well as the team-name.

(if you want to do it properly, this is going to be fairly hairy, since some of these things vary over time. So also e.g. Captain should not be in Team).

Read any introductory book on (relational) databases, and you should be fine.

                                                                      Philip
--
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb. (Steven Haflich)
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk \ European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-24