Re: How to build database to support user-specified entities and attributes?

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:00:23 -0000

"Kunle Odutola" <noemails_at_replyToTheGroup.nospam.org> wrote in message news:d1c8h4$me4$1_at_hercules.btinternet.com...
> I have a database that tracks players for children's sports clubs. I have
> included representative DDL for this database at the end of this post.

This is a breeze using Ingres. Create a user for each club. That user will own the club's supplimentary tables. Create your core tables in the DBA schema so they are visible to all users, and grant them to all relevant users. Then allow the user who owns each club's tables to create the supplimentary tables in their schema (this is allowed by default). That user can then grant those tables to whichever other users he/she likes. Because the supplimentary tables are in separate schemas for each club there can be no naming collisions. (i.e. every club can have its own version of a table called peanut_sales if it wants.)

Because DDL is transactional in Ingres, allowing users to create tables at will is no less safe on a running system than any other kind of SQL.

Roy Hann (rhann at rationalcommerce dot com) Rational Commerce Ltd.
www.rationalcommerce.com
"Ingres development, tuning, and training experts" Received on Thu Mar 17 2005 - 17:00:23 CET

Original text of this message