Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:34:31 -0700

michael newport wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098752193.942650@yasure>...
>

>>michael newport wrote:
>>

>>>I am now (1 year) working with Oracle and my work involves doing the
>>>same stuff that I did with Ingres (see previous post).
>>
>>That's not the fault of the product. That direct and proximate
>>responsibility falls on you for being a dinosaur. How much code have
>>you implemented with bulk binding? How much with the model clause?
>>How much with analytic functions? How many materialized views with
>>refresh logs?

> its answers the users needs.
> and it was written by the dealine.
> which meant my company got paid.
> although some of this money was then sent to Oracle to pay for the
> licence.
> if we had used Ingres we could have done the same job for less, or
> increased our profits.

Had you used Ingres the customer likely would have hired a firm that knew how to work in a real database. Your firm would have been paid $0 and you'd be unemployed.

>>Why not just admit that you have reached the point in your life
>>where you want technology to stop and let you keep doing what you
>>did in neolithic times.

> If you are talking about Oracle report server, I will agree with you.
> if you are talking about JAVA then you need to thank SUN not Oracle.
> But technology for its own sake is a waste of money.

Not once in this entire thread have Oracle Report Server (it doesn't even exist any more) or JAVA been part of any post. Don't try to change the subject. That is a activity best left to small children.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington