Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:36:43 -0700

michael newport wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098752226.378168@yasure>...
>

>>michael newport wrote:
>>

>>>Daniel,
>>>
>>>what do you do at the University of Washington ?
>>>
>>>nothing to do with education ?
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Michael Newport
>>
>>Teach databases something that might have interested you
>>once in your life.

> I am still interested, which is why we are having this discussion.
> But rather than back a product because it has a particular brand,
> I prefer a more realistic discussion of experience.
>
> Have you ever used Ingres ?

I don't "back" a product. I work routinely in multiple products. That I teach one relates to what the university's students want ... not what I do.

But no one wants to learn Ingres. It is a decaying corpse that CA has attempted to bury at sea. If you want to work with a real open-source database the clear choice is MySQL.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington