Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: JS <fyi85_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 10:58:59 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098250365.710337_at_yasure>...
> Rhino wrote:
>
> > Nobody's looking for a free ride. He/we just wanted to hear from people who
> > had used BOTH products to see what their pros and cons were. He/we also
> > wanted recommendations about good independent sources of reviews of these
> > products. That's exactly what I asked for.
> >
> > Rhino
>
> And exactly what you are not going to get as I haven't found a single
> post from anyone that believes you. It is absolutely impossible for the
> situation you presented to be true.

the true answer to the original question posted, which was, which db is better, is: it's a tie, both products under the control of experienced DBA('s) (and let's not forget the developer's) will do the job for which they were designed.
Both products can scale indefinately, perhaps db2 has better locking mechanism but overall you would have to slice the product very thinly
to declare a true winner. That said, db2 is cheaper, so in my mind you get more bang for the buck with db2. Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 19:58:59 CEST

Original text of this message