Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Philip Sherman <psherman_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:56:35 GMT

Jim's comment about zOS behavior is what I also remember from my mainframe days. My recollection is that this was (is?) a characteristic of mainframe QMF because QMF interacts directly with the user and the SQL statements don't complete until the user closes the session. We even had a case where a user ran a query then went to lunch without terminating it and held locks for over an hour!

The solution I implemented was to switch to using DSNTEP2 (a freebie supplied with DB2) as a replacement for QMF for simple queries. Heavy duty reporting was moved to "canned" QMF procedures where knowledgeable programmers could optimize performance and concurrency.

Phil Sherman