Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:00:13 GMT

JS wrote:

> That said, db2 is cheaper, so in my mind you
> get more bang for the buck with db2.

I note the following from http://oraclestore.oracle.com (US) and http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/ecatalog/en_US/products/index.html

Personal:

DB2 UDB PERSONAL EDITION INSTALL LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO (D5B69LL) 461.00 Oracle Database Personal Edition - Named User Plus Perpetual[$400.00]

        (add 15% for support) = $60

The licensing agreements on the IBM site are moderately confusing for me (I'm familiar with Oracle's licensing mess), but IF I interpret them correctly, having checked the numbers for other versions ...

        the LIST price for DB2 at any version, personal / workgroup /
           enterprise / and so on seems roughly equivalent to the Oracle
           counterpart, within a reasonable error.

From what I can tell, DB2 provides the opportunity to buy more options, resumably because the capabilities are not included in the base line. But, in fairness, in both cases I see options that are not in the other, and I assume that the items that are not listed as options are embedded in the base product.

The only discussion can be from a list price perspective and standard discounts - all bets are off when negotiating prices as there are to many additional variables.

So I see NO PRICING advantage to DB2.

My conclusion: I could agree with your comment that DB2 is cheaper (if you insist on sticking with that), but I perceive it is NOT less expensive.

/Hans Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 21:00:13 CEST

Original text of this message