Re: Trouble with importing EXP

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:54:48 GMT

Caie wrote:

> Hi Hans et al.,
>
> Thanks for the pointer to the installation guides (and the offtopic

Dig a bit deeper. The site contains ALL documentation, not just the install guides. You NEED to be there, not just sluff it off due to time constraints. "The hurry-der you go, the behind-er you'll get."

> rant, I am but a lowly grunt - only following orders, this sort of
> issue is raised afterwards, will be sure to bring it up).
> Unfortunatly I've run into a big brick wall. I've got as far as
> trying to discover the node, but I'm getting a VNI-4009 - automatic
> node discovery failing. And of course - I can't import to a database
> without this automatic discovery working.

If you had spent a milli-bleem looking in the documentaiton area I mentioned, you would also have found out that ALL Oracle error codes are explained (along with most probably action to correct the code) are available there.

In any case:

You need to give us a bit more to work with. You need to tell us the Operating system where the database is running and Oracle database version, whether you are trying to run the OEM on the same machine as the database & if not, the operating system and so on on the client machine.

> "typical!" I would remark if I'd done anything like this before.

In general you do not need to run imp from the Enterprise Manager. A DOS box or UNIX commnand line wil allow you to run the imp executable (found in 'ORACLE_HOME'/bin directory) using a syntax like "imp user/password_at_instance file=exp.dat" and other relevant options as found in the utilities doc at the location I indicated.

Do yourself, and your boss, a favor - buy O'Reilly's 'Oracle Essentials' book. it's light weight and will help put some of this stuff in context.

/Hans Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 03:54:48 CET

Original text of this message