Re: Trouble with importing EXP

From: Caie <the_caie_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 18:10:50 -0800

Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<TmD5c.193725$A12.174904_at_edtnps84>...
> Caie wrote:
> > Oracle wizards and muggles!
> >
> > I'm on a tight deadline here - any help you can offer is gratefully
> > accepted. Here's the problem:

> > I'm doing some development with Microsoft ODBC for Oracle via Access
> > (I've not got time to learn PL/SQL and so any code will be with built
> > in Queries, Forms and VBA).
> >

> <off topic rant>
> Sadly you are likely going to leave your client in a lurch in the long
> run simply because you will be using the wrong development techniques
> and designing towards the limitations of the database you know. Thus,
> you are giving all of us Oracle consultants a lousy name - a true
> professional, knowing his limitations and believing the customer
> deserves the correct/best answer, would have walked.
> </off topic rant>
>
> > <snip>

> > So far managed to create a database using the "Database Configuration
> > Assistant" selecting a general purpose template set to a Dedicated
> > Server Mode. I originally logged in to the Oracle Enterprise Manager
> > "stand alone" and added the database to the Network Tree via the
> > "tnsnames.ora" definition. When trying to import the EXP the console
> > informed me that I needed to be connected to the Oracle Management
> > Server (OMS) to launch this wizard.
>
> Do yourself the favour of briefly reviewing the sample tutorial found at
> http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start - that will help you get more
> comfortable with the various pieces of this jigsaw puzzle in a fairly
> timely fashion.
>

> > This is the problem. When I try to login to the Enterprise Management
> > Console with a Login to the OMS I need to supply an Administrator,
> > Password and Management Server. What are these fields? I've not set
> > up an Administrator to my knowledge and as the software is downloaded
> > only to my PC what am I supposed to do about a Management server? Is
> > there no way to import the EXP file without some kind of an
> > alternative set up?
> >

> The alternative is to use the command line 'imp' command which can be
> used to import that which has been exported. This is fully documented
> in the Oracle Utilities manual available at http://docs.oracle.com
>
> /Hans

Hi Hans et al.,

Thanks for the pointer to the installation guides (and the offtopic rant, I am but a lowly grunt - only following orders, this sort of issue is raised afterwards, will be sure to bring it up). Unfortunatly I've run into a big brick wall. I've got as far as trying to discover the node, but I'm getting a VNI-4009 - automatic node discovery failing. And of course - I can't import to a database without this automatic discovery working.

"typical!" I would remark if I'd done anything like this before.

Groups and googling are very sparce on any kind of info on the error and how to rectify - any more tips from people who've run into this before or links to resources that might help - as always - are very welcome.

Thanks again,

Caie Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 03:10:50 CET

Original text of this message