Re: Export to tape

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:18:14 +0100

John Wood wrote:
> Hi there,
> I use Oracle 9.2 in Window 2000 environment. I have SCSI DLT Tape drive. I
> would like to run Export directly onto the tapes. Is there anyway to do
> this ? What should I use ? Will Legato do that ?
> Thanks in advance.
> JW

Export is NOT a backup - it's data, not the physical layout. If you were provided the libraries for Oracle, look into RMAN. RMAN can write to tape (provided previous named libraries are availbale), and handle hot and cold backups.

Export only writes to files; so you must be able to make exp see your tape as a file(system). 3rd party tools should be able to do that, but the "run Export directly onto the tapes" remains iffy.

I'd go for RMAN

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel