Re: Solaris expert needs to break into as entry-level Oracle dba

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 01:06:03 -0800

zak_k2000_at_yahoo.com (cyber-arkitect) wrote in message news:<6f8e46e1.0312110549.7791ff15_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello all:
>
> I am a Solaris Unix Administrator with 6+ yrs. of experience in major
> companies who also has experience with AIX. Since I am good at Unix I
> would like to move into Oracle world, preferrably as an entry-level
> DBA. I have started preparing for the first OCA exams but am looking
> for an entry-level Oracle job. (even if it is an intern its fine for
> now).
> How do I break into Oracle world? Although I have Unix certifications,
> an engineering bachelors, some shell scripting etc, I find that nobody
> is willing to let me in. I just need to get my foot in the door.
> Please advise.

Oracle is completely different from Unix. A good command of SQL is mandatory. Likely your problem is going to be you have insufficient programming experience.
Most competent DBAs have originally worked as developer.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:06:03 CET

Original text of this message