Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Pablo Sanchez <honeypot_at_blueoakdb.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 15:59:22 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in news:1063677908.937277_at_yasure:

> Great in theory. But consider this ... I want to build an
> application and sell it to customers at ten different locations.
>
> My choice ... buy my own Windows, AIX, AS/400, and OS/390 machines
> matching my potential client's environments ... or ... put a C
> compiler on their box and recompile. It isn't that big a deal ...

You're missing a fundamental step in the software life cycle: QA.

You're going to need to QA your application across the different hardware platforms which means you're going to need to have that hardware at your shop. If you don't, you're asking for trouble.

You do the above whether you are using DB2, Oracle, etc. It turns out that DB2 leverages that QA hardware for application compilation. :)

--
Pablo Sanchez, Blueoak Database Engineering
http://www.blueoakdb.com