Re: Should developers have DBA role?

From: larry <spam1.minus1_at_comjet.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 12:46:52 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0307140504.4da88c79_at_posting.google.com>...

> I dont like shops that are strict enforcers of a seperation between
> DBAs and developers since alot of tasks over lap. A good DBA should be
> able to write PL/SQL and do development. A good developer should have
> a firm understand of architecture and tuning. It depends on the
> quality of your developers and more importantly their willingness to
> learn.

Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not sure I could sell that to the organization. I think the current mindset is that the dba role is called the dba role because it is only supposed to be assigned to (certified) dbas.

> Now by 'developer' what kind of developer are there? ARe they 'oracle
> developers'? Or are they software engineers?

That's a good question. Most of them are software engineers with years of experience on Sybase and/or Oracle. They do the architecture. Ability really runs the gamut, some of them wouldn't know a foreign key if it was on their keychain, and others do everything in 3rd normal.

We're puzzling right now over what kind of training to give them. The Oracle Developer training seems to be things like SQL and data modeling, which they already know. The only other training seems to be dba. Is it usual to send developers for dba training?

Thanks in advance.

Larry Received on Tue Jul 15 2003 - 21:46:52 CEST

Original text of this message