Should developers have DBA role?

From: larry <spam1.minus1_at_comjet.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2003 14:18:10 -0700

Hi. Our company has about 20 application developers/architects and one certified dba. Our developers both design the databases and build the applications. We're confused about what permissions a developer is supposed to have. On the one hand, we obviously don't want developers to have privileges like shutting down the db. On the other hand, some of the Oracle tools, like Change Management Pack, are things that our developers need to run. Our developers need to be able to compare and synchronize schemas on a routine basis. Yet according to the oracle documentation, Change Management Pack requires dba privilege. At the same time, the oracle docs discuss how the tool can be used by developers. So my question is: Does a developer typically have dba access? If not, then what permissions is a developer supposed to have? Is there any guidance, from oracle or elsewhere, on this issue? Any help appreciated.

Larry Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 23:18:10 CEST

Original text of this message