Re: Minimum requirements for ODBC connectivity to Oracle database

From: Telemachus <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:36:49 +0100

YES YOU NEED THE CLIENT SOFTWARE. You also need to decide whether to develop using the MS Oracle ODBC driver or the Oracle Oracle ODBC driver (not a misprint) .

To get the client download 8i Enterprise Ed from OTN; 8i client is an install option from the CD image.

There are some notes on Metalink about packaging and response files ...

As for freeware NO it's NOT freeware; you need to check your server licencing as to how many users can connect. Its free to download for development. for example if you have production processor licence for server you're OK otherwise you probably need to buy more client licences.

Speak to an Oracle sales rep.

"pheonix1t" <pheonix1t898oi_at_iliiearthilink.eionet> wrote in message news:3F0CDBDC.1030407_at_iliiearthilink.eionet...
> Alex wrote:
> > I have developed a VB application that uses Oracle 8i database for
 backend.
> > The database server is on the local network. From my development
 machine,
> > the application connects (via ODBC) to the database successfully. The
> > problem is that I want to install this application on several Windows
 2000
> > client machines that do not have Oracle client installed (hence missing
 all
> > the ODBC connectivity support files/drivers). What is the minimum
> > requirements, in terms of support files, for ODBC connectivity to an
 Oracle